Monday, August 11, 2008

Movie: Batman Begins

Due to my new love for Batman after The Dark Knight adventure, I decided I had some catching up to do, so I bought Batman Begins. I bought the Batman Begins giftset on DVD, which I thought was a really good deal. It contained the 2-Disc Special Edition DVD of Batman Begins, 128MB flash drive with preloaded pictures from The Dark Knight, Batman Begins lenticular art, 5 collectible postcards and $10 movie cash to see The Dark Knight in theatres. The blu-ray version doesn't have the same contents, I'm not too sure what it has.

I thought Batman Begins was a good movie, but it definitely wasn't as good as The Dark Knight, in my opinion anyways. One of the major differences is that in The Dark Knight, Bruce Wayne was already Batman, so all the action started the second the movie started. However, in Batman Begins, we, as the audience have to wait for Bruce Wayne to become Batman, hence I guess that's where the title of the movie Batman Begins comes from.

For those who are not Batman fans, like myself, watching Batman Begins will answer a lot of dying questions, such as "why made Bruce Wayne want to become Batman?", "how did James Gordon get to know Batman?" and "why bats?". It was neat to be able to make the connections between Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, and to be able to understand a little more about Batman. In Batman Begins, we see a lot of Christian Bale's character Bruce Wayne psychological development and his road to becoming Batman. A source of confusion may be from the fact that Rachel Dawes is played by Katie Holmes in Batman Begins, but the casting was changed to Maggie Gyllenhaal in The Dark Knight, however, most people should be able to tell within the first couple of times they see Rachel Dawes, as they mention her name a couple of times. Personally, I prefer Maggie Gyllenhaal's performance of Rachel Dawes more.

I have to admit that there were parts of the Batman Begins where I started to lose interest. It was a movie that was two hours and twenty minutes long, which is a long time, and I felt it didn't have enough action sequences to keep me interested. Though we must keep in mind that I am subconciously comparing this movie to The Dark Knight. Good movie though.

RainbowSnow's rating: 3/5
Links: Warner Brothers Batman Begins Site
RainbowSnow's Review of The Dark Knight
Buy this movie at yesasia.com

No comments: